Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What Color Diet are You on Now?



It is astonishing how many "diets" there are and how many "weight loss" solutions there are out there.  Here is a list of a few of the ones I have tried:

  1. As a young teenager, I did a low fat diet prescribed by my doctor.  I think we had to keep the grams of fat under 10 a day.  I lost about 20 pounds without excercise, but only did this for a fairly short period of time.
  2. When I lost 55 pounds after the birth of my first child I ate the way the dr avsd me to while pregnant.  White meat, white cheese, salad with cottage cheese in lieu of dressing, no breads, pasta, fried foods...
  3. After my oldest son (my second child) I lost weight using Metabolite, but this is before Ephedra was taken off the market.  I lost 75 pounds with that.  My doctor, at the time, actually recommended using it as a stimulant and stressed drinking lots of fluids.
  4. After my youngest daughter (my third child) I did the Atkins diet and lost 84 pounds.
  5. I did Weight Watchers for a short period of time after being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and before getting pregnant with my youngest and lost about 20 pounds in the short period of time I did it.
  6. After my youngest child (my fourth child) I did the South Beach diet and lost 67 pounds.  (Recommended to me by more than one doctor to learn difference between good and bad carbs and as a good choice for a lifestyle change.)
  7. HCG with the drops under the tongue.  I lost like 20 pounds.  My nephew lost like 50 doing it.  This one was interesting to me because it is supposed to reset the Hypothalamus.  I had a hard time sticking with it though.
  8. Another doctor recommended that I eat several small meals throughout the day to keep metabolism active.

The biggest thing we have to keep in mind is that if we don't want to have the Yo-yo dieting effect, we have to find something that works as a LIFESTYLE change.  I once heard a quote that made me think and it explains how lifestyles are created,
"Our thoughts become our actions, our actions become our habits, our habits become our lifestyle and our lifestyle becomes our destiny."

When I took a nutrition class in college, I learned that carbs are our brain's food, so it isn't recommended to stay completely away from them like in the Atkins diet. Here is a link you can check out that talks lists worst and best diets... I found it particularly interesting because a lot of the mainstream ones are listed: "Paleo Diet Worst, DASH Diet Best in U.S. News & World Report Rankings"

So for me, this time around, I am taking all that I have learned and continue to learn and putting it to use to get healthy.  It not only takes knowledge to get healthy, but also action.  I am eating small meals throughout the day and taking vitamin supplements and will excercise as I feel strong enough to do so. 

(photo is from http://www.peanut-institute.org/eating-well/diets-and-eating-patterns/us-dietary-guidelines.asp )


No comments:

Post a Comment